With the first little sprinkle of sleety snow this morning I felt inspired to tackle the Craft Barn's November calendar challenge. This month the theme is grey and owls which initially I thought would work well with a Kate Crane style Journal Soup approach. Having got started though I decided to keep it a bit simpler and more muted.
First a generous layer of white with layers of shades of grey (not quite 50). Then more grey and white through a stencil, with some dry brushing on top to create the feel of a blizzard.
Next edging with Gelatos and Stabilo All pencil, and a little shading to ground the owl.
The owl was cut out of a piece of card painted with darker shades of grey and some stencilling was added. Wings and feet were added separately and his face drawn on. 'Snow' was added with a piece of crunched up tissue dipped in paint.
Actually I quite like him like that, but that wouldn't really work for a calendar challenge! I won't stick the calendar on yet and maybe some lucky owl lover might get him as a Christmas card next year!
Wishing you all a warm and cosy weekend xxx
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish paint: snowflake, elephant, taupe, little black dress
A friend asked if I'd be interested in selling a few things at a craft fair and I thought I'd do my best to pull together a few bits and pieces. I thought coasters always go down well so I set about altering nine bisque coasters with chalk finish paint and archival ink. I chose three designs and three colour schemes and created a mix and match set. I started with a white undercoat and then a mid tone on top and a darker tone on the edges.
Then followed some stamping in white paint and I'm afraid at that point I
got so engrossed I forgot to take pictures.
The next step was
stamping in different coloured Ranger Archival ink and when that was dry
the words were repeatedly stamped in black. Before the ink was fully set the edges were rubbed with a damp baby wipe to knock the colour back a bit and make the centre stand out. To tie the layers together
some circles and a border were stamped in gold paint and a
co-ordinating colour. The edges were also painted gold. The coasters were sealed with three layers of matte finish glaze to protect the stamping and give a surface that you can wipe clean with a damp sponge. To finish they have been backed with a co-ordinating square of felt.
The problem is now they're finished I think they'd make rather good presents for my friends! I won't be too sorry if no-one buys them ;-)