Saturday 10 June 2017

Flowers and Smiles

Hello there
I've been having a little play with my Distress Oxide inks. At first I didn't have a clear idea of what I was aiming for but seeing how beautifully they layer and react with water a little inkling of an idea crept in.

I started by dabbing white card in fossilised amber and spiced marmalade which had been spritzed with water. I did four at a time to make the most of mopping up the ink.


Next I used spiced marmalade through a stencil and added a little more around the edges.


I die cut some Tim Holtz wildflowers and used the negative as a stencil. I started to build up the flower layers using the same colours. After I'd added a few flowers I spritzed with water, allowed a few seconds for the inks to react, before blotting with tissue to soften the images.


I then added another layer of flowers but this time did not soften the images. As you have probably noticed from the photos  it's not the same background each time. I obviously lost track when photographing!


Then I completely lost track and forgot to take photos at all! I finished the background with a little text stamping in peeled paint.  The sentiment was stamped using a stamp positioner just in case it didn't stamp perfectly first time. The die cut flowers were coloured by dipping in Distress Oxide ink and a little extra Distress Ink was also added to the flowers, before layering onto the card.


A cheery summery card to make up for a rather gloomy day. Thank you for taking the time to have a look. xx


Materials used:
smooth stamping card
Distress Oxide ink: spiced marmalade, fossilised amber, 
fired brick, cracked pistachio, peeled paint, broken china 
Distress ink: picked raspberry, festive berries
Archival ink: jet black
Tim Holtz wildflowers 2 dies
Carabelle Studio mask: around the world
PaperArtsy stamps: ZA08, MN61







6 comments:

  1. It's really fantastic. And wow such layering!
    Love the new blog header :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The header is a detail of something coming up in August for The Craft Barn...a little sneaky peek!

      Delete
  2. Oh Yes!!! This is gorgeous. I had to smile at your comment about not having a clear idea to start off.......I'm not sure I ever know where I'm going when I first start a project but I've learned it's better to get some ink on the card and an idea usually starts to arrive. Have a great crafty week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to learn to go with the flow a bit more and be less controlled...hard to break a habit of a lifetime!

      Delete
  3. Really a beautiful card, full of depth and I also love the rich summer colours...
    Great use of the flowers dies and oxydes on this one!! :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the delicate heads of flowers... Just perfect Claire. Hugs Coco Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. xx